Re: USA Today on "sucks "

Fri Sep 30 15:55:07 UTC 2005

In a message dated 9/30/05 4:52:18 AM, webster at 3RI.NET writes:

> I haven't seen and, so far, can not think of, any other force in our
> culture powerful enough to sway the innate categorical goodness of
> sucking, other than homophobia. Which, I've heard, is very powerful.

Fellation is scarely an exclusively homosexual act. Prejudices against
sucking may be reinforced by prejudices against homosexual behavior, but that is
scarecely the whole story.

Moreover, there ARE numerous nonsexual negative associations for suck.

Remember the giant sucking sound of jobs being siphoned off to Third-World
Countries?

Sucking may be pleasant, but not if whart is sucked is rope, thumbs, eggs,
wind, the hind teat, air.

Does "A sucker is born every minute" mean "A cocksucker punch"?

Is a sucker punch one that only a cocksucker would be stupid enough to be hit
with?

Is a suck-tooth one who really wants to blow me?

Is a blood-sucker just a fellator who displaces his

In general, there is a strong negative association of SUCK with infantile
behavior, childishness, naivete, hence stupidity, that is reinforced by the aural
impression that sucking sounds have on people as rather unpleasant and
perhaps even dangerous. Moreover, even such expressions as SUCK EGGS, ROPE, etc., so
far predate the era in which fellatio was even referred to causually and
obliquely that it is hard to believe that many people who used the expressions had
blowjobs in mind.