Eugene Landy, RIP

Sat Apr 1 05:02:02 UTC 2006

On 3/31/06, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:

> About 40 entries from Landy's dictionary are cited in OED2/3, and a
> dozen of them are first cites: "(get off my) case", "do (a drug)",
> "dry fuck", "jive" (a.), "mindfucker" (= 'manipulator'), "munchies",
[snip]

Sorry, should have specified "munchies" = 'marijuana-induced hunger'.
But I see the Crimson archive antedates that anyway, with a 1969
article about a pancake-eating contest:

-----
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=351712
Harvard Crimson, December 18, 1969
"We had Rick on a tough schedule - smoking grass every day and never
going to bed before 4 a.m.," said Bishop. "Then the stoned Munchies -
brought on by two pre-contest joints - floated my man to victory," he
added.
-----

--Ben Zimmer