Further Antedating of "Superman"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 2 01:58:12 UTC 2006

superman (OED 1903)

1894 G. Stanley Hall in _Forum_ May 297 ff. (American Periodical Series)
In this country, with all its excitements and precocities, and especially
with our mongrel blood, with strains so numerous and diverse, the case is,
I think, far different than with a pure, homogeneous stock like the Jews,
or even the Germans: the seething is not only greater, but longer.  But if
there is increased danger of both stunting and collapse, there is also the
possibility of later but higher and more complete unity in the "cosmic,
super-man" of the future.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS