More old GI slang

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 3 13:04:03 UTC 2006

I'm not surprised, Jon. It used to be the case that I felt that the
mere fact that I could
vouch for the existence of some bit of slang should have made it
dictionary-worthy.
Then, I went the other way, not offering anything unless I could come
up with at least
an attempt at some kind of documentation.

Now, I'm trying for a sort of middle ground. If I know some
undocumented local slang or dialect feature - like "stomps" in East
Texas for "shoes," which are / were called "kicks"  elsewhere - I'll
just offer it up for what it's worth: a laugh, if nothing else.
Another instance is that the "standard," so to speak (that old song,
"Land of a Thousand Dances," did have a basis in fact) fast dance in
St. Louis was called the "bop," whereas, in Los Angeles, the
corresponding dance was called the "seven-step."

Can't hurt. Might help. You never know. :-)

-Wilson