"Tipping is not a city in China" (1955?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 8 03:37:03 UTC 2006

TIPPING IS NOT A CITY IN CHINA--742 Google hits
I don't know if Fred has this one.
_http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/04/06/jing_fong_waite.php#comments_
(http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/04/06/jing_fong_waite.php#comments)
Leaving a tip is an interesting thing in Chinese culture - some people  leave
smaller tips in line with 10% (whereas a server at a restaurant most
anywhere else would sneer at that) but the reason may be that tips aren't left  in
China. Have you noticed a different dynamic with tipping at Chinatown
restaurants? And since we know it'll come, let's just get "Tipping is not a city  in
China" out of the way.
(PROQUEST)
_Going  Places_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=128055292&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=12&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1144466761&clientId=
65882)
By Yolanda Marshall Tisdale. The Washington Post (1974-Current file).
Washington, D.C.: Jan  17, 1980. p. DC2 (1 page)
The audience poured out into the lobby past the bar sign that read: Tipping
is not a city in China.
(GOOGLEBOOKS)
_Passport Hong Kong_
(http://books.google.com/books?ie=ISO-8859-1&vid=ISBN1885073313&id=njNQ_dojWaYC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq="not+a+city+in+china"&sig=jVhdtt4--
o8iYPekpGfUelcDCrE)
by Andrew Grzeskowiak - Travel - 1955 - 96 pages
Page 85  - A Note on Tipping Some American restaurants and cafes have clever
little  signs
by the cash register that read ‘Tipping is not a city in China.  ...
[ _More results from this book_
(http://books.google.com/books?ie=ISO-8859-1&vid=ISBN1885073313&id=njNQ_dojWaYC&q="not+a+city+in+china"&dq="not+a+city+in+ch
ina")  ]
_Winning at Slot Machines_
(http://books.google.com/books?ie=ISO-8859-1&vid=ISBN0806509732&id=1R9uId27CgUC&pg=PA75&lpg=PA75&dq="not+a+city+in+china"&sig=ZrI
c_zfV7ZL_r_LRlz9e-hdIBlU)
by Jim Regan - Games - 1985 - 94 pages
Page 75 -  ... been overheard to say again and again, “Someone should tell
these  folks it's
OK to say ‘please' and ‘thank you' and that tipping is not a  city in China!
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
    _All  We Are Saying_
(http://groups.google.com/group/rec.humor.funny/browse_thread/thread/72a4d665fc044c1f/6c91006a036c6c68?lnk=st&q="not+a+river+in+egy
pt"&rnum=114&hl=en#6c91006a036c6c68)
... Denial is Not  a River in Egypt, It Flows Through the Heart  of America
Vegetarians
Against Carnage Surf Kuwait Send Imelda Marcos  to Iraq I Don't War Gives Me
_rec.humor.funny_
(http://groups.google.com/group/rec.humor.funny?lnk=sg&hl=en)  - Mar 3 1991, 10:09 pm by mor... at jessica.stanford.edu -  1 message - 1
author