word finding

Barnhart barnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Sun Apr 9 17:46:22 UTC 2006

American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on Sunday, April 09,
2006 at 1:01 PM -0500 wrote:
>a natural derivative from the intransitive verb "jubilate", but
>normally pre-empted by "jubilant".  not in AHD4, NOAD2, or NSOED2.
>OED2 has one cite, from 1872.

jubilatory  .... World Book D +, Century Supplement +, Random House U +,
F&W Standard U +, AND

prior to 1872:

1857 7 Jan _The Janesville [Wis.] Gazette_ 1  If these gentlemen will
confine their operations to the sphere of jubilatory suppers, we shall be
content.

There are several other examples from the 19th century for those
interested in the term.  See NewspaperArchive.com

Regards,
David

barnhart at highlands.com