"The time to repair a leaky roof is when the sun is shining" (FDR, not JFK)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Apr 10 00:29:24 UTC 2006

That's a good call by Joel, the citation of a versified
version of the rustic's-leaky-roof jest in lyrics of "The
Arkansas Traveler" (though I am unable to follow the link
Joel provides).

The tune (at least) is probably older, but lyrics appeared
in sheet-music form, published in Buffalo, probably in the
1850s; those were reprinted in The Arkansas Traveller's
Songster (NY, 1864). Whether the early printed texts
contained the jest I do not know.  Nor is the history
of "Arkansas Traveler" as a FOLKSONG clear--that is, what
lyrics have accompanied the tune at various stages of oral
transmission.  One set of lyrics (containing the jest),
collected in 1918, can be found in J.H. Cox, Folk-Songs of
the South (Cambridge, MA, 1925).

--Charlie