Peasant? and Village?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Apr 10 15:27:30 UTC 2006

My wife's hometown of Oak Park, IL, (old stomping grounds of
Ernest Hemingway and Frank Lloyd Wright) pointedly refers to
itself as a "village."  An upscale suburb of Chicago, it is
a separate, incorporated municipality.  Is "village" perhaps
a legal designation for certain kinds of towns in Illinois?

--Charlie