Peasant? and Village?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 10 16:24:49 UTC 2006

At 11:39 AM -0400 4/10/06, Joanne M. Despres wrote:
>There's also the Village of Hastings-on-Hudson and the Village of
>Ossining in Westchester County.
>
>I doubt whether there are any peasants living in Westchester,
>though.

I agree with your and Charles's observations that there are many
designated "Village of X" place-names, but I think Bolinger would
have conceded the point without retreating from his claim that we
don't talk about visiting a quiet little village in Kansas, or saying
that one comes from a village in Long Island (where we also had
"Village of Hempstead" or whatever).  ("They live in the village, not
on the rural route" would be possible too.)

Larry