Peasant?

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Mon Apr 10 17:08:52 UTC 2006

Sagehen is right: Ohio has many villages, and it's not just a political
designation but a common usage, at least in southern Ohio.

On peasants:  My international grad students often talk about the
"peasants" back home pejoratively, with the assumption that American
farmers are of the same low status.  I always correct this (as a farmer's
daughter from Minnesota) and point out that farming is an honorable
occupation here.  "Farm workers" or "farm laborers," on the other hand, may
have a less favorable connotation; but we still allow for the possibility
of moving out of that status (or at least I hope we still do...).  And I
agree that no Americans I know of would refer to "Arkansas peasants"; was
the writer originally cited from Europe?

Beverly Flanigan