dichotomy / anomaly

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Apr 12 16:32:56 UTC 2006

"Prosodic malapropisms" are interesting.

There was a mentally retarded boy in the neighborhood who
used to spend time at my house.  Late one afternoon my wife
asked (hintingly), "Johnny, what time do your and your
mother eat supper?"  Johnny replied, "Oh, it rathers."

What astonished me, when I heard it, was how intelligible
that sentence was, even (almost) normal-sounding!

--Charlie