plural people

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 12 17:38:54 UTC 2006

At 12:59 PM -0400 4/12/06, George Thompson wrote:
>Well, when we say "the Smiths are coming", we mean two or more people.
>When a broadcaster refers to "the Mantles" or whoever, when speaking of
>"playing on the same outfield grass as the Mantles and the diMaggios",
>he's only referring to one person, not to Mantle, his wife and sons.
>
>GAT

Don't we mean "players of the kind instantiated by Mantle and
DiMaggio" rather than referring to those specific players themselves?
I think the plurals really do presuppose there's an ilk, as when I
might assert my old fartness by bemoaning the absence of the
Clementes and Sniders and Mayses of the good old days.

LH