spinksterinkdum

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 13 04:16:03 UTC 2006

I recall that Mohammed Ali once punned on "Spinks" and "sphinx," both being
pronounced as
"spanks." Something about Spinks looking like the sphinx, making him "too
ugly to represent the colored people." In general, [#sfVX] doesn't occur in
BE of any register. I was certainly in my 30's before I realized that this
kind of cluster existed in any dialect of English. On those rare occasions
when I did notice word-initial [sfV-] in place of [spV-] in "sphinx" and
(historically-)related terms like "sphincter," I ignored it as merely a tip
of the slung on the part of the speaker.

-Wilson