Australian zoo relabels "fairy penguins" in an excess of PC

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 19 13:47:27 UTC 2006

At 8:57 AM -0400 4/19/06, Wilson Gray wrote:
>My guess is that it'll be "ferry" in those dialects that don't distinguish
>between "ferry" and "fairy," as in St. Louis BE, in which "fairy" and
>"ferry" both rhyme with "Larry." ;-)
>
>-Wilson

As opposed to these parts, where nobody would confuse the Staten
Island fairy with the non-eponymous harbor-crossing vessel.

--Larry (not to be confused with Lairy or Lerry)