ADS-L Digest - 18 Apr 2006 to 19 Apr 2006 (#2006-109)

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Apr 20 10:57:13 UTC 2006

Automatic digest processor wrote:

>>> Subject:
>>> Muffin tops (1992)
>>> From:
>>> Bapopik at AOL.COM
>>> Date:
>>> Wed, 19 Apr 2006 23:54:46 EDT
>>>

>>> I was looking at the website for Angel's Bakery in Brooklyn, and they sell
>>> all kinds of "muffin tops." We all know the recent slang of "muffin top" (that
>>> layer of fat right above your jeans), but these are actual muffin tops, sold
>>> at  a bakery.
>>> How long have bakeries sold "muffin tops" as opposed to muffins? Should I
>>> add it to my website as a NYC product?

Bakeries have been selling 'muffin tops' for a number of years, but
don't always call them that.  At least five or six years ago the St.
Louis Bread Company (now national, and called Panera) was selling
'muffies', but would happily explain that they were just the tops of
muffins, or 'muffin tops'.  Everybody knows the tops are the
best--that's why we save them for last.

Geoff

--
Geoffrey S. Nathan
Department of English/Computing and Information Technology