lawn-loan

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Apr 20 21:45:53 UTC 2006

Jest what ah sed. A lower and fronter onset for LAWN. (And clearly a
fonted onset for LOAN.)

dInIs

>In a message dated 4/19/06 9:22:46 PM, preston at MSU.EDU writes:
>

>>  This would amaze me for most of NC, where the low-back vowel has
>>  become a diphthong with a fronter (not raised and backer) onset.
>>

>I'm hearing LOAN = schwa + [o]
>                   LAWN = [a] + [o]
>
>which tend to sound a lot alike to the non-native

It should be the chief aim of a university professor to exhibit
himself in his own true character - that is, as an ignorant man [sic]
thinking, actively utilizing his small share of knowledge. Alfred
North Whitehead

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English