Syntactic change/

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Fri Apr 21 19:20:57 UTC 2006

I've heard the any-doesn't construction, but only from a
non-native-English-speaking (too many hyphens?) colleague.  I don't have
his example handy, but when I cite it to my class, the NSs all look
puzzled, as I do.  It's the ambiguity of meaning that's the problem:  Any
old 32-bit CPU doesn't fit your needs, only some certain ones do?  No
32-bit CPU fits your needs, none at all?  Might the instruction have been
written by a NNS, via outsourcing?

But I agree, double negatives are more acceptable, mainly because their
meaning is almost never ambiguous.  (I stump my students with Labov's
"Ain't no cat can't get into no coop," but that's a less common usage,
obviously.)