"You Want It When?"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 21 23:43:04 UTC 2006

"Draught[ing]" reminds me of a patent medicine from my childhood. For
advertising purposes, its manufacturer supplied a free calendar that read
"Black Draught!" To this was added the note: "(Sometimes called 'Black
Drawt'}." This was back in the days when "drouth" was a common and accepted
alternative to the now-standard spelling, "drought." (The pronunciation
rhymed with "out," regardless of the spelling.)

-Wilson