Hawkins/The Hawk (1936, in Chicago Defender)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 23 05:01:08 UTC 2006

If I don't love you, baby, old folk don't call cover "kivver" and the Lone
Ranger don't call his white horse "Silver"!

Part of the rap of Amos "Yo' Panyo" Doston, a DJ in St. Louis during the
'50's, quoted here only for its use of "kivver," which rhymes with "Silver"
in speech. The whole bit is a pun on a then-popular song by Little Willie
John, otherwise known as the person who composed and originally recorded the
song, "Fever," which was later covered by Peggy Lee.

-Wilson