Big Apple / Manzana WAS: "Always be sincere, even if you don't mean it" (1954) & Yahoo Answers

Mon Apr 24 16:49:17 UTC 2006

Barry's rant below is the first I've heard of the "manzana" explanation.
Just to add more confusion, there was a horse racing in Detroit in 1906
named "Manzana", and another racing in NY in 1928 named Manzana (both
found in Dallas Morning News archives).  The Atlanta Constitution,
7/6/04 makes reference to Manzana racing in Chicago.  The Washington
Post  Aug 1, 1908 has Manzana racing in Fort Erie; The Washington Post ,
Sep 10, 1908, has him in Montreal; etc., etc., with other listings of
the horse at other tracks.  No mention was noted of the size of Manzana
-- was he (or she, or it) a big horse?

If there were in fact reference to a horse known as "Big Manzana" or
some variant, it would seem to be relevant to the Big
Apple question.

> The origin of "the Big Apple" seems to be a popular Yahoo
> Answers question.
> My name comes up a lot in the answers, although my website
> has never been mentioned. One woman continues to promote the
> "Big Apple whore theory," even after its removal from the web.
> One person (below) seems to have recently visited my website,
> but he  credits the 1960s "manzana principal" theory, citing
> John Ciardi (sigh) and  Robert Hendrickson (bigger sigh) and
> 2004's Language Log (sighs, throws up  hands).
> There are quotes like: "New York jazz musicians of the 1930s
> (New Orleans roots!)." Listen: Cab Calloway regularly went to
> the track. The 1934 "Big Apple"
>  joint in Harlem was run by sportsmen. The NYC jazzmen of the
> 1930s got "the Big  Apple" from Fitz Gerald.
> This is followed with: "And note that the fact that the
> term's first  clearly DOCUMENTED use (by Fitzgerald) does NOT
> show us that the 'racetrack'
> application preceded its application to the jazz scene (it's
> hard to imagine how that would happen). It might well have
> happened the other way round!"
> Yeah, it's hard to imagine that the first citations in race
> track lingo are actually true.
> Thanks to Jerry Kreuscher and Language Log for believing in
> "manzana principal" without a single citation anywhere. No
> Language Log update? Jeez,  this never ends even when it ends.
> _http://answers.yahoo.com/question/;_ylt=ApirUnuC8vmjarJG4Tk.o
2cjzKIX?qid=1006
> 042206896_
> (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/;_ylt=ApirUnuC8vmjarJG4Tk.o