"Sweater vest / sweatervest"

Wed Apr 26 22:17:51 UTC 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 3:03 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> I've just heard the above term (the speaker was wearing one:
> "According to Esquire, the sweater vest is in, this season") used
> for what I've known, till now, only as a "sleeveless sweater."
>
> Is this another instance in which I need to get out more?

possibly.

the first sweater vest (so labeled)i recall buying was in 1958.
actually, i bought three, as part of my going-to-college clothes.  i
have regularly worn sweater vests ever since.

they are, in my usage, not merely sleveless sweaters (though your
usage of "sleveless sweater" might not be perfectly compositional),
since sweater vests are always v-necked.

plenty of googleable links, but apparently not in the OED.

arnold