Dentifrice (was: "Commercial" words - was: plural people)

Thu Apr 27 14:02:31 UTC 2006

I've pondered on this a bit, and frankly - I don't
understand the problem; what am I missing here?
(Pate) dentifrice in french = toothpaste or dentifrice
in english; why would anyone be disturbed by this
translation?  Was there something more in the New
Yorker story that gave this a twist?  What would
absinthe have to do with teeth, and what on earth is a
do-it-yourself absinthe kit, anyway?  Did the
pharmacist just completely misundertstand the request?

http://mail.yahoo.com