AAVE query

Salikoko S. Mufwene s-mufwene at UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Apr 27 20:32:51 UTC 2006

There is a discussion of direct and indirect questions in the following
book:

Burling, Robbins. 1973. /English in black and white/.  New York: Holt,
Rinehart and Winston, Inc.

One of the earlier, 1980's editions of Akmajan et al.'s /Introduction to
linguistics/ discusses the construction too, but too theoretically in my
opinion. I can't double-check this now, as I am writing from abroad,
from my hotel room.

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1010 East 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/faculty/mufwene