Q: Ad nauseum

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Apr 30 05:40:16 UTC 2006

>What do nauseated people say WRT their condition?
>In the home, I learned to say:
>
>"I'm sick at the stomach."

Supposedly there is regional variation, I think.

When I was a young one, in Detroit MI, I usually heard (and used) "sick to
one's stomach" (e.g., "I'm sick to my stomach"). However I also heard "sick
to the stomach", and also (less frequently) "sick at the/one's stomach",
"sick in the/one's stomach", and "sick on the/one's stomach"; I can't
remember the detailed breakdown (which preposition usually went with "the"
vs. "one's", etc.) or demographics.

-- Doug Wilson