-SS -> -ST?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Dec 1 16:37:41 UTC 2006

To clarify:  I wasn't talking about the adjective "fiesty" but about a noun referring to a small, hyper dog.  In my experience among white Southerneres, a fiesty dog is normally called a FICE, not a FEIST.  But then, I haven't discussed small, hyper dogs with ALL white Southerners.

As for the fart business, I was referring to etymology, not current usage or perception.  Probably the expression "full of beans" for most speakers nowadays carries just half an iota of the flatulent semantics of its precursor.

--Charlie