Texas Hamburger Origins; Slowdeatha (Odessa); Big Apple 80th

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 1 17:00:53 UTC 2006

"THE BIG OD" & SLOWDEATHA (ODESSA, TX NICKNAMES)
I don't know if Lighter's next volume of the HDAS will have "Slowdeatha. He
doesn't have "The Big OD."
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/the_big_od_slowdeatha_odessa_
nicknames/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/the_big_od_slowdeatha_odessa_nicknames/)
TEXAS HAMBURGER ORIGINS
It looks like I can't start my Texas Food Museum soon enough.
The "hamburger" didn't begin in Texas, and "Hamburg Steak" was served at
Delmonico's in New York City over 70 years before...heck, they can legislate
anything these days.
_http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/12/01/1kelso.html_
(http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/12/01/1kelso.html)
Friday, December 01, 2006
How about some of these goofy bills that have been filed for the upcoming
80th session of the Texas Legislature, known by some as the Running of the
Fools.
A resolution from State Rep. Betty Brown, R-Terrell, asks that the
Legislature "formally designate" the small town of Athens, in East Texas, "as  the
Original Home of the Hamburger."
(...)
"Well, we have every reason to believe that's where the hamburger
originated," said Brown, speaking of Athens. Athen's claim seems pretty sketchy  to me.
Legend has it that Fletcher Davis, aka "Old Dave," opened a lunch counter  in
the Athens courthouse square in the late 1800s. Later he got mentioned,
though apparently not by name, in the New York Tribune for introducing a new
sandwich called a hamburger at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis.
Now wait just a doggone minute. I think Dirty Martin's, the cheeseburger
joint on Guadalupe Street, has grease older than that.
Speaking of junk food, Brown has been a real hot dog when it comes to state
designations. She has made Commerce the Bois d'Arc Capital of Texas, and West
Tawakoni the Catfish Capital of Texas. I'll bet this chaps their butts over
in  East Tawakoni.
"I believe those are all I've done since I've been in the state Legislature,"
 Brown said. Well, blooie for you, lady.
John Kelso's column appears on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays. Contact him at
445-3606 or jkelso at statesman.com.
BIG APPLE 80TH
Today is the 80th anniversary of John J. Fitz Gerald's Dec. 1, 1926 Morning