Yee-ha(w) / "Rebel yell"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 4 18:58:44 UTC 2006

In one of his bits, Richard Pryor reproduced the yell as "Yee-haw!"
explaining that, when he heard it, he knew that it was time to leave.

However, when I was in the Army, Edgar J. Mackey, Jr., from somewhere
'nother in North Carolina, had a different version. Unfortunately,
Eg-guh gave the yell only when he was drunk and, even then, he had to
be asked. And, if Eg-guh was drunk, so was everyone else. Hence, I
can't recall what his yell sounded like, except that it was quite loud
and wasn't "yee-ha(w)." In addition, I had earlier read an article
somewhere 'nother that debunked the Rebel Yell, claiming that it was
folklore and there was not and never had been any such thing as a
Rebel Yell. I believed this article, so, even if I had been sober, I
wouldn't have paid no 'taynchun to Eg-guh's rendition of the supposed
yell.

As for "yee-ha(w)," this was heard in a million horse operas, during
my childhood, with no one defining it as having anything to do with
the War of Northern Aggression.

-Wilson
On 12/4/06, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Yee-ha(w) / "Rebel yell"
>
> I'd never thought about it before, but are we to suppose that Swift's yahoos are so called because they go around ejaculating "YA-HOO!"?  (Those creatures WERE, after all, rebels of a sort.)
>
> --Charlie

-----
-Sam Clemens