NPR

Joseph Salmons jsalmons at WISC.EDU
Tue Dec 5 19:26:05 UTC 2006

Yeah, I was stunned by Raum's piece on "bad grammar and lazy language
use". Isn't this an issue for people like us, who care about how
language is talked about in the public sphere?  The NYT presumably
isn't ever going to get Safire under control (let alone fire him), no
matter how outrageous his inaccuracies or how questionable his
research methods. (Those issues, including his recent pronouncement
that 'porn' in the phrase 'food porn' is a 'nominative suffix', are
being lampooned by a blogger here in Wisconsin: http://mr-
verb.blogspot.com/.) But I wonder if NPR might not be easier to
educate: Has anyone tried writing to them, or talking to people there?

Joe