changing one's accent from posh to a little less posh

Tue Dec 5 22:59:33 UTC 2006

Interesting.  His father, Edward VII (1842-1910), was transcribed by
Hallam in the 1870s, and would have sounded even more Mid-Atlantic in
some ways--he was variably rhotic, for instance.  This would have
been an arch-conservative feature for that generation.

Paul Johnston