Yee-ha(w) / "Rebel yell"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 7 18:42:38 UTC 2006

At 11:14 AM -0500 12/7/06, hpst at earthlink.net wrote:
>Ben,
>
>You are correct in terms of Bob Wills as far as I can tell.
>
>Outside Texas, however, few people know who he was.
>
>There is, however, a song by Waylon Jennings which oddly enough isn't a
>western swing tune and as I recall Merle Haggard did a tribute album many
>years ago.
>Page Stephens

I've only heard a live version of this, and there's a loud positive
response to the mention of Willie (right after the one for the
preceding line, so it was probably recorded in Asutin, especially
since  no cheer goes up at the mention of the Grand Ol' Opry); a
wonderful public service message from Waylon, I always thought.

--LH, a Bob Wills fan who is definitely not from Texas

>Bob Wills Is Still The King
>Waylon Jennings
>Well the honky-tonks in Texas were my natural second home
>Where you tip your hat to the ladies and the Rose of San Anton'
>I grew up on music that we call western swing
>It don't matter whose

hmmm...