correction on "Humean being."

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 7 19:39:33 UTC 2006

A rereading of Tallis's article convinces me that he intended "Humean" as a reference to the skepticism of David Hume; a "Humean being," in this context, is one whose self consists "solely of fugitive impressions." In this case, as a result of having been debased by phun..

  My mistake resulted from the propinquity of "Humean being" with "phun" and the wordplay on "presence" and "e-sense."  Postmodernists often exploit paronomasia and ambiguities of a Joycean kind.

  JL