"Do you do Taco Hell?" / "bus" as non-count n.

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Dec 8 13:21:58 UTC 2006

And we discussed the uncounting of "prom" a few months ago.

I used to suppose that a similar development (if it is a development) was more advanced in British English--and among Americans affecting British manners:  "at table," "in hospital," "at university," etc.  But, of course, we normal folks say "in bed," "at school," "go to college."

Speaking of busses (or "buses" as it's generally spelled nowadays):  My university has an extensive (and rather impressive) inter-campus bus system (it's an immense campus).  I hobbled onto bus yesterday and noticed a sign asking that the front seats be reserved for "seniors."  Nicely ambiguous for a campus bus!

--Charlie