Clob (Kipling)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Dec 10 02:34:20 UTC 2006

Here is another "clob" by Kipling: found by Google Books:

"The History of a Fall", in "Abaft the Funnel", p.59:

<<He derides the Council of the Indian Office. He imprecates the
Government. / He curses the journals. / He has a clob. He curses that clob.>>

Here ...

http://www.kipling.org.uk/rg_historyfall1.htm

... are notes on this story, in which "clob" is glossed "club". I suppose
this is the sort of club to which one belongs.

I suppose some people pronounced "club" as "clob", at least in Kipling's
perception. Or was "clob" an alternative spelling which escaped the
dictionaries? Or ...?

-- Doug Wilson