"situation": (Was) issues; the X from Hell

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Dec 10 19:09:28 UTC 2006

At 10:52 AM -0800 12/10/06, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Again FWIW, I first noticed this usage on a TV show about 20 years
>ago, more or less.  A space alien was radioing, "We have a situation
>here ! " He sounded very perturbed.
>
>   When I mentioned "situation = emergency" to Dr. Jerry Ball, he
>replied instantly that he'd heard it many times in the U.S. Army in
>the early to mid '70s.
>
>   It's not in OED yet, but the stylistic objection to "crisis
>situation" is mentioned. In my experience, it was "emergency
>situation" that was usually cited as the prime offender, though it
>is unlikely that such cautions affected space-alien or other spoken
>usage to any considerable degree.
>
>   JL

Even better to my mind than "situation" = 'emergency situation' and
"issue" = 'problematic issue' (or whatever) is the reference to
"substance-free" (floors, dorms, etc.).  For us literally-minded
types, it conjures up a wonderful image of life in a total vacuum.

LH