new web of language post: the word of the year

Dennis Baron debaron at UIUC.EDU
Sun Dec 10 22:15:07 UTC 2006

This week Merriam-Webster declared "truthiness" the word of the year
for 2006 (a year after ADS honored it with its own annual award), but
(drum roll, may I have the envelope please) my choice for word of the
year is ...

available for your reading pleasure on the

Web of Language:

"The most prominent word to come out of the war in Iraq isn’t
insurgent (an Iraqi who wants the Yanks to go home), sectarian
violence (translation: 'not civil war'), or Green Zone (a name which
gives environmental protection a whole new meaning). It’s roadside
bomb, the phrase that I’ve selected as Word of the Year for 2006. . . ."

Read it all by going to

http://www.uiuc.edu/goto/weboflanguage

Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics