ginger = "extremely careful"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 11 18:08:36 UTC 2006

Jon, are you implying that, e.g. "daily," as in "The _Daily_ Show" is
*not* an adverb? ;-)

>From the Judge Mathis Show:

"First, I waited a week, then I waited a whole 'nother week [before
tossing out my former tenant's property]."

The judge himself states that "I got the whole alphabet after me" is
BE slang for "I'm in big trouble," i.e. "The ATF, the IRS, the FBI,
the PD, etc. are all after me."

-Wilson

On 12/11/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      ginger = "extremely careful"
>
> As engineers laid explosives to implode a factory chimney, Fox anchor John Scott, a Coloradan, comments that "there's some very ginger work going on there."
>
>   OED calls this sense of "ginger" (1600, 1675, 1882) "Obs. exc. dial." This is the first time I can recall hearing a living person say it, but if you think "gingerly" _must_ be an adverb because it ends in  "-ly," it makes perfect sense.
>
>   Not that many Americans say "gingerly."
>
>   JL

> Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know. Ask your question on Yahoo! Answers.

-----
-Sam Clemens