Mispronunciation

hpst@earthlink.net hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Dec 12 14:23:04 UTC 2006

Dennis,

I am certain that US astronomers adopted URanus out of self defense after
having been asked "Are there rings around urAnus?" one too many time.

After hearing it 9000 times some gags are just no longer funny.

On the other hand I will give a nickel to anyone who can tell me the reason
Carl Sagan pronounced any word the way he did other than to distinguish
himself from every other English speaker in a rather pretentious manner.

The same goes for William F. Buckley Jr.

Page Stephens