auto/Otto

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 13 17:15:26 UTC 2006

At 11:06 AM -0500 12/13/06, Beverly Flanigan wrote:
>Hey, dInIs, you know you're feeding the "SAE" ego of our prescriptivist
>correspondent, don't you?!  I doubt that he'll get your irony.
>
>But anyway, another nice merger example was said by (the other) Dennis the
>Menace some years ago:  Dennis was looking at some reindeer on a Xmas
>display and asked, "Which one is Olive the other reindeer?"  Most of my
>students, mergers and non-mergers alike, don't get this joke either.  Ditto
>for a similar cartoon on picking out a "naughty pine" Xmas tree.  'Tis the
>season.
>
>Beverly

Not just a Dennis the Menace cartoon, but a bonified (yup) artistic
endeavor, originating as a book published 10 years ago and Christmas
TV special a couple of years after that and now available in VHS and
DVD at a video store near you.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive,_the_Other_Reindeer for details.

LH