Origin of "flamer"?

Thu Dec 14 16:43:13 UTC 2006

On Dec 14, 2006, at 8:13 AM, Scot LaFaive wrote:

> Although I don't personally use the word, it exists in my
> vocabulary as only
> an "overtly effeminate gay man" and not an overtly effeminate
> straight man,
> though that wouldn't be much of a stretch.

ah, yes, an amendment to what i said earlier: an effeminate and
extravagant gay man.

a man who is both effeminate and flamboyant sets off my gaydar full-
tilt (klaxons sound in my head).  i'm trying to think if i've come
across an effeminate, flamboyant straight guy.  if i did, though, i
don't think i'd call him a flamer, much less a flaming queen.  but
others might be willing to use "flamer".

i'll ask around.

arnold