ah suh-WAY-uh

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Fri Dec 15 18:47:37 UTC 2006

There's no special term for the "notation" used here; most of us just call
it dialect spelling. And I suspect it was "invented" about the time the
first literate people, in whatever language, tried to write out what they
heard.  Again, you're taking this far too seriously.

(I suh-WOR-uh I wouldn't get into these nonsensical debates anymore, but I
can't let these pass.)

At 12:18 PM 12/15/2006, you wrote:
>Thanks Jim,
>You're very brave.  That's a first for here.  I appreciate that.
>In truespel, I assume it would be foespeld ~aa suwwaeyu.
>~aa as in "ah".
>~s as in "say".
>~u as in "uh".
>~ww as in "way" (a double consonant shows stress (desert/dessert)
>~ae as in "Mae".
>~y as in "yet" (I assume a y-glide is in there, else an apostrophe).
>~u as in "uh" (looks strange at the end of a word, I know).
>I've been wondering for years if the type of notation illustrated by "ah
>suh-WAY-uh" has a name.  I think Voice of America uses it.  Is it their
>Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL4+
>See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.
>>From: Jamie Carpenter <jcarpentercc at HOTMAIL.COM>
>>Reply-To: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>Subject: Re: ah suh-WAY-uh - name for this notation?
>>Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:55:50 -0700
>>---------------------- Information from the mail header
>>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>Poster:       Jamie Carpenter <jcarpentercc at HOTMAIL.COM>
>>Subject:      Re: ah suh-WAY-uh - name for this notation?
>><html><div style='background-color:'><DIV class=RTE>
>><P>Sorry, I've forgotten most of my linguistic notation. Here's my
>>best truespel translation (though I like the phonetic alphabet better -
>>it's just not very convenient to use on a computer):</P>
>><P>aa suwaeyu<BR><BR></P></DIV>
>>#a0c6e5 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 11px;
>>FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,sans-serif">
>><HR color=#a0c6e5 SIZE=1>
>><DIV></DIV>From:  <I>Tom Zurinskas
>><truespel at HOTMAIL.COM></I><BR>Reply-To:  <I>American
>>Dialect Society
>><ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU></I><BR>To:  <I>ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU</I><BR>Subject:  <I>ah
>>suh-WAY-uh - name for this notation?</I><BR>Date:  <I>Thu, 14 Dec
>>2006 19:08:22 +0000</I><BR>---------------------- Information from the mail
>>American Dialect Society
>><ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU><BR>Poster:      
>>Tom Zurinskas
>><truespel at HOTMAIL.COM><BR>Subject:      ah
>>suh-WAY-uh - name for this
>>suh-WAY-uh<BR><BR>Is there a name for this kind of notation?<BR><BR>Tom
>>Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3,
>>NJ33, FL4+<BR>See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at
>>clear=all><hr> <a href="http://g.msn.com/8HMAENUS/2749??PS=47575"
>>target="_top">Talk now to your Hotmail contacts with Windows Live
>>Messenger.</a> </html>
>>The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>Visit MSN Holiday Challenge for your chance to win up to $50,000 in Holiday
>cash from MSN today!
>The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list