babel babble

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 16 05:09:55 UTC 2006

It's the same for me. Ca.1943, I had an album of 78's containing the
Bible for kiddies. The album described the building of the Tower of
Babble and the consequences thereof, when God got the jaws and said
something like, "Let us go down and confound their speech, lest they
succeed in reaching heaven." And, suddenly, the conversating that had
been going on in the background turned into, well, babble.

I've heard the "Babe-l" pronunciation, but only rarely. Like, the
topic seldom comes up in conversation.

-Wilson

On 12/14/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: babel babble
>
> I was officially taught by a professional schoolteacher (no later than 1961) that the word "babble" comes from the "Tower of Babel" (pronounced "babble").
>
>   So for me it's always been The Tower of Babble. "Baybel" sounds almost like an affectation.
>
>   JL
>
> Michael H Covarrubias <mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU> wrote:

-----
-Sam'l Clemens