"Ballroom brawl"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Dec 18 13:12:23 UTC 2006

In postvocallic "r-less" (and "l-less") dialects, as well as in those dialects with "cot"/"caught" homophony, the "barroom"/"ballroom" distinction would diminish.  Such a diminution could facilitate (and filicitate) the deliberately punning uses of the phrase "ballroom brawl" in many of Google's 900 hits?

--Charlie