"Ballroom brawl"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Dec 18 14:54:14 UTC 2006

Yes, all that is certainly true!  Just two quick points, though:

1. We don't know what Marcus McNeill SAID; we know only what the reporter HEARD.

2. A pun, to be "esthetically" functional, doesn't have to be based on perfect homophony.  Still, the closer the better.  I was merely suggesting that an r-less "barroom" and an l-less "ballroom" make for a better pun than their more consonantal counterparts--as well as a more probable source of confusion to a listener who speaks a different dialect!

--Charlie