Monkey's paw

hpst@earthlink.net hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Dec 18 15:37:06 UTC 2006

If anyone wants to lear how to make a monkey's fist in order to impress their friends they should go to The Ashley Book of Knots by Clifford Ashley. It looks spectacular but is ridiculously easy to tie as is the turk's head, another spectacular looking knot. They are both very useful as well as decorative in their various incarnations aboard ship in order to make it easier to hang onto a hand rail which is no doubt the reason you see them on so many old navy ships.

The monkey's fist the way I tie it is basically round but then I use something like a marble or round stone in the center.

Many years ago I made a bolas with three monkey's fists at the ends although I always thought of it mainly as decorative rather than useful and some times would tie them in the middle of my hammock strings, etc. just to impress my friends.

The Ashley Book of Knots btw is incredibly useful as a source for information on knots and knotting which is probably the reason it is still in print  these many years.

Richard Henry Dana's book The Seaman's Friend is another resource which might shed some light on this subject.

It was in this work that I first saw the phrase stowed bung and cuntline which has always intrigued me in terms of its origins although its meaning is clear in terms of the way barrels are stowed aboard ship.

Dana's book is also in print so if anyone wants to learn more about this subject these are two places to begin.

Page Stephens

hpst at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.