Pompey, nickname for Portsmouth

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Dec 18 21:07:39 UTC 2006

May I refer Jonathan, Margaret, and Wilson to my
two messages of Dec. 11, and to the sources I cited:

* Greene, Lorenzo J[ohnston]. “The New England
Negro as Seen in Advertisements for Runaway
Slaves”. The Journal of Negro History, Vol. 29, No. 2 (Apr., 1944), 125–146.

* Greene, Lorenzo Johnston. The Negro in Colonial
New England, 1620–1776. New York: Columbia
University Press, 1942. Reprint: with a new
preface by Benjamin Quarles. New York: Atheneum,
1969.  [Its index is the best way to see slave names.]

And for African day-names:

* Hart, Richard. Slaves Who Abolished Slavery:
Volume 2, Blacks in Rebellion. Kingston, Jamaica:
Institute of Social and Economic Research,
University of the West Indies, 1985.  (Page 11
for Cuff/Cuffee, as Margaret wrote.)

Joel