a request

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Dec 19 15:01:19 UTC 2006

In my own dialect, I find it impossible to pronounce the entire final cluster of the word "fifth"--much less "twelfth"; the /f/ disappears.

More to the point (as elaborated by Jonathan), I can't do "desks" or "wasps" either; I probably just avoid using plurals in those cases!

What I do for the plural of "dentist" may be idiosyncratic, but the plural tends to be (yes!) /dInIs/, as if omitting the /-t/ makes it sound more plural.

--Charlie