Chilimac (1902); Hopkins County Stew (1901)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Dec 19 23:22:34 UTC 2006

Greetings from Austin, Texas. My wife and I are tired.
MOVIE--There were about 50 hits for this word in the NY Tribune database,
but it didn't look like there was even one relevant citation. I later also
searched for "moving picture."
NYC STREET GAMES--16 July 1905, NY Tribune, pg. A4, "East Side Pied Pipers:
Games of the Street Child/'Statues,' 'Cat,' 'Turn the other way.'" This looks
like an interesting article on NYC street games, but only the title of the
article appears on ProQuest.
NAVAL ACADEMY SLANG--21 December 1902, pg. A7. An interesting collection,
including "grub" and "plumduff" and "salt horse" and "spuds" and "shake a leg"
and "hung on the Christmas tree."
America's Historical Newspapers (not available at the University of Texas,
really hurting my research) was very slow downloading on the NY Public Library
computer. Often, articles refused to be opened. The following "Chilimac" (one
 word) ad and the "Hopkins County Stew" recipe are nice Texas food finds from
 about 1900.
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/chili_mac/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/chili_mac/)
8 August 1902, San Antonio Express, pg. 10:
“Chilimac.”
We beg to announce to the public that we are introducing an entirely new
food article called

“CHILIMAC.”

This article is a compound of  Italian paste with extract of beef, celery and
Mexican chili pepper, etc. The  compound speaks for itself and it is indeed
one of the most wholesome,  nourishing and delicious foods for rich and poor
and we can conscientiously  recommend it.

We place Chilimac on the market in two forms, viz.  Thimbles and Vermicelli.
Thimbles are a large macaroni cut into pieces an inch  in length, while
vermicelli differs from ordinary vermicelli only in color and  taste. Both forms are
particularly adapted for soups as well as all other dishes  for which you
will find recipes in our Chilimac Cook Book.

The following  grocery stores carry the Chilimac in stock, who will also
furnish you with a  cook book with your first purchase. Please give it a trial.

Yours very  truly,
SAN ANTONIO PASTE WORKS (...)
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/hopkins_county_stew/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/hopkins_county_stew/)
10 June 1901, Fort Worth (TX) Morning Register, pg. 2:
“HOPKINS COUNTY STEW.”
Dish That Calls Forth Commendations
from One Who Enjoyed It.
(...)
“Hopkins County Stew.” That’s  the name of it. Good? Did you ask? Well, I
should say. All the picnic dinners of  history fade into insignificance before
it. Baked turkey, roast pig, pound cake,  angel’s food and moonshine with cream
and strawberries are all turned down when  Hopkins county stew stands up for
recognition.

It is said that the  famous “New York delegation” had spread before them, on
their visit to Sulphur  Springs, this novel dish. They tasted, they smacked
their lips, they rolled  their eyes, they smiled blandly. Then fully convinced
that they had struck the  richest lead in all Texas, they took it in to their
full capacity, and left the  city too full of utterance.

Tell you how it’s made? I wish I could.
(...)
No one less gifted in the art of importunate pleading than myself  could ever
have obtained the recipe for making this stew. But I am able to give  it to
your readers on the condition that it shall be known as the “Hopkins  county
stew” thereby vesting some honor upon the fair ladies of this county who
originated it. The name of my authority is appended to the recipe:

Hopkins county stew—2 gallons water, more added later is needed; 1  gallon
Irish potatoes; 3/4 gallons tomatoes, fresh sliced or canned; 1/2 gallon  corn,
either fresh cut fine or canned; 2 pounds sweet bacon, sliced; 24 birds,  or
six frying-size chickens—two hens may take the place of either; 1/2 dozen  pods
chili pepper, seeds left out; put meat, pepper and tomatoes in first and
cook, boil hard one and a half hours; then add onions and potatoes and cook
until ingredients are cooked to shreds. Last add corn and cook fifteen minutes.
Salt to taste. After corn is put in stir constantly to prevent burning.
MISS  SAXCHE FUGUA.

Now should the lady readers of The Register wish to make a  new raid upon the
affectations of their leige lords they have only to study upon  this stew.

It is especially hoped that the U. B. A. ladies will adopt it  as the
principle feature of all occasions where the supreme president is  expected to be
present. Under such treatment he will no doubt develop into a man  of wonderful
capacity.

Respectfully,
GEO. W. CLARK,
Sulphur  Springs, June 7.