Pronouncing Wisconsin

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 21 17:58:03 UTC 2006

I guess I should have made clear that I'm referring to how people pronounce
"Wisconsin."

Scot

>From: Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Pronouncing Wisconsin
>Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:37:19 -0600

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Pronouncing Wisconsin
>
>I've noticed lately that many commercials played in Wisconsin seem to have
>people clearly pronouncing the /k/ sound in the second syllable, and it
>sounds odd to me. From what I gather from 31 years in Wisconsin, it seems
>that natives generally don't clearly pronounce the /k/; I think we tend to
>voice it as /g/, but I may be wrong in my analysis (my ears don't
>distinguish so well, the lazy fools). Just curious if anyone else has
>noticed this or can confirm or correct me.
>
>Scot

>Experience the magic of the holidays. Talk to Santa on Messenger.
>http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/santabot/default.aspx?locale=en-us

Visit MSN Holiday Challenge for your chance to win up to $50,000 in Holiday
cash from MSN today!
http://www.msnholidaychallenge.com/index.aspx?ocid=tagline&locale=en-us