Gringo (1839)

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sat Dec 23 03:37:49 UTC 2006

When I lived in Hawai'i int he early 80's, locals
had trouble with what to call black folk. "Haole"
meant "white guy" but also meant "non-local," so
"black haole," since no local guys were black,
came to be a resolution.

dInIs

>---------------------- Information from the mail
>header -----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Re: Gringo (1839)
>
>I was once chatting with an African-American acquaintance from
>Honduras and used the phrase, "norte-americano negro." He corrected
>this sneeringly to "_gringo_ negro." I'd long wondered whether
>"gringo" was reserved for white Anglos or whether it could also be
>used to refer to black Anglos. That answered my question, at least
>with respect to the practice of African-American Hondureˆ±os.
>
>-Wilson
>
>On 12/21/06, Bapopik at aol.com <Bapopik at aol.com> wrote:
>>  ---------------------- Information from the
>>mail header -----------------------
>>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>  Poster:       Bapopik at AOL.COM
>>  Subject:      Gringo (1839)

>>  I don't have America's Historical Newspapers or 19th Century U.S. =20
>>  Newspapers. Any "gringo"?
>>  _http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/gringo/_=20
>>  (http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/gringo/)=20
>>  (Oxford English Dictionary)=20
>>  Gringo=20
>>  [Mexican Sp.] Among  Spanish Americans, a
>>contemptuous name for an Englishma=
>>  n=20
>>  or an Anglo-American.  Also attrib.=20
>>  1849 J. W. AUDUBON Western Jrnl. (1906) 13 June 100 We  were hooted and=20
>>  shouted at as we passed through, and called
>>=E2=80=98Gringoes=E2=80=99. 1871=
>>    Republican Rev.=20
>>  (Albuquerque, N.M.) 14 Jan. 2/2 Three Mexicans
>>from  Socorro..calling her a=20=
>>  gringo=20
>>  bitch, finally threw her on the body of her  husband.=20
>>
>>  August 1839, Southern Literary Messenger,
>>=E2=80=9CA Journey  Across the And=
>>  es=E2=80=9D by=20
>>  W. B. H., pg. 514:=20
>>  My colleague had previously arranged  that
>>this challenge should be answered=
>>  =20
>>  by the officer of our boat, whose  Gringo
>>accent would prove that he was not=
>>   a=20
>>  Chilian.=20

>--
>All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
>come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
>-----
>-Sam'l Clemens

It should be the chief aim of a university
professor to exhibit himself in his own true
character - that is, as an ignorant man [sic]
thinking, actively utilizing his small share of
knowledge. Alfred North Whitehead

There are many different religions in this world,
but if you look at them carefully, you'll see
that they all have one thing in common: They were
invented by a giant, superintelligent slug named
Dennis. Homer Simpson

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English