InterNetLingo

Mon Dec 25 18:08:01 UTC 2006

I just read a story in the Orlando Sentinel today (''Do you speak Net? Web
site ansswers parentes' SOS" (reprinted from the Stamford Advocate) about a web
site called NetLingo.com. The site has an online dictionary of acronyms,
abbreviations, etc., as well as a glossary for smiley faces. The owner of the site,
Erin Jansen, has a couple of Masters degrees in psychology,   and she seems
very clever about getting publicity for the site. Moreover, it at least seems
(after a quick look) to deliver the goods.

The methodology seems to be essentially that of Wikipedia, though one assumes
that, like regular lexicographers, she looks at the works of others as well.
She says nothing on the web site about her methodology, except that she asks
for submissions which will be "reviewed" and may or may not get added to the
dictionary.

One thing that troubles me is that she speaks authoritatively about
etymologies (in a general sort of way): "... most teens do not use sexual predatory
language with each other. 'These acronyms are from the adults,' Jansen says.
'They are the ones teaching the kids TDTM [Talk Dirty to Me] or IWSN [I want sex
now]. ¶ "But adult acronyms are making trhier way into this teen-speak,' she
says."

How does she know this? How can she get access to teens' IMs and text
messages? Or is she merely extrapolating from blogs? And/or just guessing?

If anybody has access to teen-to-teen IMs and text messages I'd love to have
access, too!

Does anyone have any information or opinion about InterNetLingo.com? Has the
site been reviewed by professional lexicographers? It seems to me this would
be a great review for AMERICAN SPEECH and/or DICTIONARIES.